1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup plain almond milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
spice blend: 1/2 teaspoon each ground nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1. In a large bowl whisk together oil and sugar for about 3 minutes.
2. Add molasses and almond milk.
3. Sift in all of the other dry ingredients, mixing about half way through.
4. When all of the dry ingredients are added, mix until a stiff dough is formed.
5. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or up to 3 days in advance. If you chill longer than an hour you may want to let it sit for 10 minutes to warm up a bit before proceeding.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F.
7. Lightly grease your cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
8. On a lightly floured surface roll the dough out to a little less than 1/4 inch thick. Cut out your shapes with your cookie cutters and use a thin spatula to gently place on cookie sheets.
9. Bake for 8 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let them cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then move to a cooling rack. Wait until they are completely cool before adding decorations.
11. Use honey to make sprinkles stick.
- Still trying to whip up a frosting for these. If you have any ideas let me know!
This recipe and photo was inspired by Post Punk Kitchen.